Boston University, LL.M., Taxation
Boston College Law School
Boston College, B.A.
Mark Barrett has a wide variety of experience in the areas of estate planning and administration, small business advising, and taxation.
Mark Barrett is Of Counsel to the firm and has over 25 years of focused experience in the areas of estate planning and administration, small and family business advising, and income and estate taxation. He advises families and individuals on a broad range of estate planning issues, such as succession planning, estate tax planning, and probate. He has extensive experience in business and income tax planning. He advises clients on the formation of new ventures, the acquisition of existing ventures and the reorganization or sale of existing entities.
- Trusts and Estates
- Business Law
- Fundamental Estate Planning/Irrevocable Trust Planning -- trusts to improve estate liquidity and shield life insurance proceeds from estate and generation skipping transfer tax;
- Preparation of Probate Court Filings -- to secure the admission of wills, the appointment of personal representatives and trustees, the collection and distribution of assets;
- Representation of Beneficiaries -- in Probate Court in connection with the proper administration of estates and trusts;
- Succession Planning -- for family and other closely held businesses, including the use of limited liability companies to facilitate the incremental transfer of ownership interests and management responsibilities, and the drafting and implementation of cross purchase and redemption agreements;
- Business Entity Formation -- including counsel on the most appropriate choice of entity for the type of business and the owners' tax and financial concerns;
- Business Governance and Operation -- including comprehensive advice on everyday business matters such as leases, employment agreements and other contracts, as well as counsel on more complicated issues like mergers, acquisitions, sales and reorganizations.