Affordable and Multifamily Housing
| Print |
Smolak & Vaughan LLP has extensive experience in the area of affordable and multifamily housing. Our experience includes analyzing and structuring complex deals, coordinating projects of significant scope and complexity, and providing counsel throughout the development process. We actively represent owners and lenders in all aspects of multifamily and affordable housing, from initial permitting assessments, to permitting work, to appeals and through the final approval regulatory documentation. Clients in this field receive financing through agencies such as MassDevelopment, MassHousing through its Housing Starts Program, the Department of Housing and Community Development through its Local Initiative (LIP) Program, as well as the Federal Home Loan Bank of Boston's New England Fund (NEF) Program which may provide federal or state assistance for single family, multifamily apartments and townhouses, senior (55+) housing, and assisted-living developments. We also represent lenders in structuring and financing affordable and multifamily housing. We have significant expertise representing developers before local zoning boards of appeal in connection with the Massachusetts comprehensive permit process under Chapter 40B, and regulations promulgated by the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development. As the development of such projects requires an array of land use, environmental, financing and regulatory compliance, the team of professionals at Smolak & Vaughan provides comprehensive representation on all facets of affordable housing production.
- Representation of developer of proposed 300-unit residential apartment project in Massachusetts under Chapter 40B.
- Representation of joint venture in purchase, development and financing of proposed $40 million apartment building with 300-unit parking garage located in New Hampshire.
- Representation of developer in permitting of 100-unit affordable housing project pursuant to Chapter 40B using MassHousing's Housing Starts Programin Wrentham, Massachusetts, including single family, senior housing, and townhouse condominium units.
- Representation of developer of proposed 278-unit apartment project using the MassDevelopment Tax Exempt Bond Financing Program under Chapter 40B in Dracut.
- Representation of developers in permitting of affordable housing townhouse condominium projects pursuant to Chapter 40B using the DHCD's Local Initiative Program in Reading and in Dracut, Massachusetts.
- Representation of lender in financing 278-unit Chapter 40B project located in Groton, Massachusetts.
- Representation of lender in financing of 100-unit Chapter 40B project located in Andover, Massachusetts.
- Representation of non-profit community development corporation in the permitting and conversion of former nursing home into rental project in North Andover, Massachusetts, and the redevelopment of a former high school into senior rental housing in Webster, Massachusetts.
- Representation of developer of 88-unit housing project pursuant to Chapter 40B using MassHousing's Housing Starts Program in Andover, Massachusetts.
- Representation of other developers of proposed projects pursuant to Chapter 40B using the Federal Home Loan Bank of Boston's New England Fund, MassHousing Housing Starts Program, the DHCD's LIP Program and Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program, and other programs in Dracut, Norfolk, Carlisle, Sudbury, Ipswich, Middleborough and other municipalities.